Thursday, July 24, 2008

I am the maypole

The kids came through the door after having been at a friend's house to play for the afternoon. Jake was asleep so I announced that they could watch a movie while I also went to take a nap. Rachel burst into tears. "But I haven't gotten to BE with you mom!" she said, "Yeah," said the boys, "we want to BE with you."

It's so true. If I am nursing Jake in my room, they are in my room. If I am in the kitchen, they are in the kitchen. If I go outside, three kids come out after me, "Mom? Where are you going? Can we come?" Sometimes I stumble over them because they are so close to me ALL THE TIME.

A few weeks ago, dear friend Emily made this observation that I've thought a lot about. "I've accepted that I'm the maypole in my young children's lives. Although consuming, what an honor, really! I know it won't always be like this."

When I take a moment to set aside the sometimes frustrating events of the day that often accompany parenting and look at my kids, I'm amazed. They are really incredible little people with potential to do and be that I feel genuine reverence for. That they love me (imperfect, grumpy, etc etc) as they do really humbles me.




That's me, there in the middle, the skinny one :)

6 comments:

Karen said...

I love this post...thanks!

Kimbooly said...

I want your blueberry/spinach smoothie recipe.
As for the mommy maypole theory, a few weeks ago I was in the middle of teaching an intensive "crafts" badge to some webelos scouts, and Nathan was climbing on a chair behind me. He simply jumped on me in midair, from behind, and grabbed on. Aack! One of those moments when I wasn't aware or prepared at all for him to play around/on me! It was amusing, but surprising!

Holly said...

So Emily thinks this is not going to end, mine is 12 and I have to inform him that I am going to the bathroom so that he will not try and follow me in there.
Love and good luck, Holly

TJ said...

Sara, you're kinda my maypole too.
Seriously though, what a beautiful way to think about it instead what I find myself thinking. (STOP hanging on my legs)

familia Bybaran said...

That's hilarious. Lately, Cyra has started saying: mommy, I need you. Mommy, I really really want you. I am often tripping over my children because they are crawling or walking under my feet.

Tiffany said...

That's a good reminder! We should be glad to be so loved by our kids! Thanks!