Tuesday, July 8, 2008

bad mommy

Because the cleaning ladies were coming, Jake had to sleep in the closet. I know, having cleaning ladies is a huge luxury, and I wish I could say it is my only one, but I have husband who loves a clean house and also loves a sane wife. But, that is not the point. Jake slept while we cleaned. With a clean house I sat to read a friend's blog- you can waste time with a clean house right? I've already chided her for having a blog that is way too entertaining and thus time-consuming, but now she's in real trouble. Who knows how long I sat there- then it dawned on me- JAKE! I ran to my closet and before I even opened the door I heard his pitiful, helpless cries. I died inside as I picked him up and his shuddering little body was wracked with his little sobs- really, I'm not just being dramatic. I held him and tried to calm him, whispering apologies with tears running down my own cheeks. His full-body shaking finally stopped as he began to nurse, but he looked up at me rather suspiciously..."Are you REALLY my mom? Because my mom wouldn't let that happen to me! How could you??"

At what point do kids start remembering the bad-mommy moments? I had a friend in Texas who decided to put aside saving for for her kid's college education and decided to save for their future psychological counseling (I guess she figured well-adjusted kids were better than well-educated kids). I laughed at the time, but now I just think, this could get expensive.

5 comments:

familia Bybaran said...

I want the blog reference. I love to read interesting blogs. Every mom has the bad mom moments. Better to have them on the newborns. No psychological damage whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

Ok so you told me this story and I was feeling sad for Jake but reading the description of what my blog may have done to him is just plain SAD. Tell Jake his auntie Amy loooooves him and that I will refrain from exciting posts from here on out. Bad auntie.

TJ said...

Seriously sara, I can let this go once, but if I need to kidnap the kids or call DCS, don't think I won't.
I mean, I won't, but don't think I won't.

I should have only told Kimberly

Emily said...

A similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago while I was on the front porch checking my email and the girls were asleep. (Yes, the front porch where I was mooching an internet signal. We just got ours installed, hooray!) I would periodically pop my head in the front door to listen but after a while thought, 'Oh, they are both totally out.' I discovered I was wrong and I felt horrible. Good thing breast milk covers many sins.

Kimbooly said...

Every mom does something that they feel horrible over, but it still feels just as horrible when it happens (by this comment you can tell I've had way more of these moments than I wish I had). So sorry!

By the way, I LOVE your blog title now. That's really what I was going for but could never coin it, so went sarcastic instead.

Funny random comment--the word verification down below says lficsck, so when I saw it out of the corner of my eye, I read the work "fisk" out of the letters and thought, no way! Even while I'm on your blog!