Sunday, March 23, 2008

inaugural post

I feel like something really important/at least interesting needs to be said to mark the beginning of our blogging experience. Thinking....thinking....thinking.......nothing is coming to mind, so on with it.

This is going to be all out of order- that's what happens when you start your New Year's resolution at the end of March.

Today was Easter. For Family Home Evening last Monday night we attempted to have a very thoughtful Easter lesson that would make an impression on our young kids and their budding understanding of these important events. Any impression of the Savior's resurrection was quickly overshadowed when they caught a glimpse of the Easter eggs and realized that treats were coming as soon as Mom stopped talking.

The less-than-stellar FHE lesson was followed by the Mesa Temple Easter pageant. We handed out a few snacks and watched the production. Afterward as I asked my kids about their favorite parts, I had to remind both Jonathan and Adam that "The snacks" was a rather incomplete summation of the night and call their attention to the actual story presented.

Somewhere along the line, some of it must've stuck. Today in Primary, the chorister was describing different events in the Atonement, Crucifixion and Resurrection of the Savior. When she got to the part about the crown of thorns being placed on His head, she (a little too cheerily) described that event. Rachel, looking really somber, raised her hand and said "Why are you smiling? It was actually really sad when it happened!" She toned down the smile and agreed that it was indeed a sad event.

Later, as she asked what the crowd said as Christ stood before Pilate, Adam got an eerily sinister look on his face and started chanting "Crucify him! Crucify him!" It got everyone's attention. After she got over the sinister look she tried to congratulate him for knowing the right answer. He was right pleased with himself.

Some cute photos happened today as well- Rachel looks like a new girl with her two front teeth missing and her short hair. The boys look as rascally as ever.

4 comments:

Joshua and Tara said...

Oh my goodness! I am laughing out loud! What adorable kids you have, you do such a great job with them. Keep it up!

Jared said...

It's about time, seriously. And a great maiden post.

Your kids are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

REALLY? A blog?? I am so proud of you my Sara friend...
It will be fun to read your words and see your kids as often as I want to now. My kids will junp all over leaving them comments and such. We should keep in touch this way too now that our phone calls are fewer- which I am missing.
love ya
Amy

Emily said...

Your kids kill me. They are so funny, and the primary story is just another reminder that they don't miss a thing.

I love Rach's new do, so cute. We would have taken cute Easter pics as well, but it was snowing here. I can't wait for spring to finally get here.