We got an elliptical trainer. Actually getting to the gym seems to be a thing of the past (though they continue to get $25 a month from me) so it was time to get something more accessible. Last night I got on for my first workout. Things were going smoothly enough and then I noticed a little message on the LED screen "Keep it up!" Well well well- my own cheerleader built right in! After showing me my cadence and caloric burn, another upbeat message appeared-"You're doing great!" Even coming from a pre-programmed lifeless machine, I'm liking the positive reinforcement! I might've even straightened up a little taller.
Then the next message appeared. "Pedal faster" So, I quickened my pace a little. A few minutes later, "Pedal faster" ran across the screen again. Pedal faster?? Hey now, I'm pregnant! Why don't you cut me some slack? But, not wanting my elliptical to be disappointed in my performance, I consciously tried to pick up the pace again. I was rewarded with "You're doing great" ...followed up a minute later by another "Pedal faster" DID YOU FORGET THE PART ABOUT ME BEING PREGNANT?? AND this is my first workout, AND I just ate dinner AND I couldn't find my favorite workout music?? There really are multiple reasons why I'm pedaling as fast as I can!!
My internal dialogue was threatening to erupt in angry not-nice words as ANOTHER "Pedal faster" scrolled across the screen. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I went at that machine with everything I had, spinning those pedals around so fast I had to hang on to the handles just to keep from being launched off. This lasted all of about 2 minutes before I had to get off or fall off. Chest heaving, sweat dripping, breath ragged I sat in a nearby chair. Rachel came in and asked "Mom- what happened to you?" "The...machine...told...me...to...pedal...faster...so...I...did..." She looked over at the machine, studied me for a second and said "Well, it doesn't mean you have to listen to it." With that, she left the room leaving me to wait for my breathing to return to normal.
2 comments:
Thanks heaven you have a blog and can now share these experiences with all of us at once. I sat here, by myself, laughing. xoxo
That is just too funny! I can just see Rachel's face as she said it, too. Thanks for a good laugh! Mom and Dad
Post a Comment