Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It is one thing to discuss polititcs

with those who agree with you and some family members who don't but love you anyway.

It is another thing to anonymously place door hangers in your neighborhood in support of a particular political position.

It is another thing to put a sign in your yard supporting a particular position.

It is really ANOTHER thing to publicly hold up a sign as people file by to vote and let them see your support- to stand for something (literally) when people are watching.

I am most politically active on the phone. Talking about stuff. Mostly with people who agree with me (and the few on the dark side that I haven't lost hope in :) ) This morning, I had the opportunity to hold up a sign in support of the Marriage Amendment on the ballot in Arizona. I didn't think it would be any big deal, but it WAS! I was self-conscious in a way that I did not expect. And, it was really no big deal. No one talked to me- I did get a few mean (my interpretation) stares and when I tried to direct one woman to an open parking spot in the jam-packed parking lot she gave me a dirty look and drove off to park in the hinterlands (obviously someone who supports traditional marriage can't REALLY be interested in helping people get a good parking spot)... but that was really it. I got more thumbs up and a few shout-outs from my ward members than anything negative.

But still, I wasn't entirely comfortable standing there with my sign. But, I had some time to think about it, so I did.

I wasn't concerned about people disagreeing with me- some people will agree with you and some people won't. That's just the way it is.

I was concerned about experiencing their disagreement. Why that is, I'm not sure. I'm still thinking about that.

I did have one distinct feeling though- it is no longer enough to anonymously support political positions that align with my religions beliefs. The Lord is going to need me, and many, many more people like me to stand for those things in an ever-increasing public way. It is not enough to hope someone else will do it.

7 comments:

Emily VO said...

I took a minute to read your blog, it always makes me laugh so hard, I am going to file the brick idea away for future use.

TJ said...

Maybe you should have warmed up for your sign holding experience by holding up little ceasar signs last week. You know started with something a little more neutral.

I'm proud of you.

Karen said...

Way to go Sara! Great post and I agree that there isn't a lot of time left to be sitting idly by the sidelines.

simply jami said...

You are amazing Sara! What a great way to stand for your beliefs, and an example to me as usual. You rock!

mandi said...

I'm very proud of you! It's getting scary how polarizing this issue is becoming. I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

Tiffany said...

True...a little scary to think about...but true!

p.s. The brick idea...very creative! :)

Kimbooly said...

Just checked in on TJ's blog and saw you are commenter 33 from her "blogcation" post.

I say ditto to you. : ) I haven't heard from you in so long!