Sunday, August 24, 2008

Rachel's Birthday

Rachel is 7...SEVEN!! Did you all get that? SEVEN. Unbelievable. Last week she began asking "Mom, do you have any birthday surprises for me?" as the final countdown to her birthday (which began in February) ensued.

So, I came up with a few. The day of her birthday we skipped school and as I loaded her and Jakie in the car I invited her to ask me any questions she wanted to about her surprises, the only stipulation being that I could only answer "yes" or "no."

R: "Is it a place I know?"
M: "Yes"
R: Are there friends there?
M: Maybe...(everyone is a friend you haven't made yet, right?)
R: (excitement mounting in her voice) "Did you get all my friends together for a big surprise party for me???"
M: Ummmmmm, no.
R: Oh.
M: Rachel, remember you're having a party this Saturday? And you already know all about it.
R: Oh yeah.

By the time she got over the fact that I had not arranged a huge surprise party for her, we arrived at the place she has been begging to go since the day she saw it: Build-a-Bear Workshop, yet another frivolous and ridiculous way that some scheming entrepreneur has invented for over-indulgent and fiscally irresponsible parents to provide their already toy-overloaded offspring with ANOTHER overpriced stuffed animal. Man I wish I would've thought of it first.

But I digress.

If I would've thought of it, I would've kept track of all the times I heard her sharp in-take of breath register her surprise and delight. She LOVED it. Loved picking her "new best friend," the whole kiss-the-heart-before-you-stick-it-in-the-body hoohaw and everything. The outfits, the shoes, the purses (yes purses!!) and hair doodads...it was dizzying. Right before we were done she asked me "Mom, are you sure you want to spend this much?" I was really proud that at least the price tags had not escaped her and said "For a special occasion, it's just fine sweetheart. This is your big birthday present." $40 later (for a stuffed animal!!!) , we were out the door and on to the next surprise.

Every Sunday, Rachel looks longingly at a beautiful family of 4 girls with exquisite hairdos that sit in front of us at church (yes you Tricia) and wishes I could do something even close. Well, wish granted. On to "The Glitter Box" for a (free-had a coupon- couldn't have paid for this with a straight face) "up-do" for my SEVEN-YEAR-OLD who was absolutely beside herself with delight as she was coiffed and lacquered and glittered. Heaven.

A sugar-saturated smoothie finished off the afternoon of special-occasion treats. I watched her walking beside me, swinging her box, sipping her smoothie and trying to catch a glimpse of her reflection in the mirrors of the stores we passed and I caught a glimpse of a much older girl, even older than seven, walking beside me. She stopped and offered me a sip and as I bent to take it, she kissed my cheek and said "Thanks Mom, this was a great surprise. You can do the real surprise party for me next year." :)












5 comments:

TJ said...

That looks like such a fun birthday surprize. She really does look older than 7.

Karen said...

You are the COOLEST Mom! What a fun day, Happy Birthday Rachel!

Kimbooly said...

Bryce went to a Build-a-Bear birthday party and you are right on the nose with your description of the place. And of course the kids LOVE it. Bryce has a very handsome turtle (with detachable shell!) that he named Toggin (or Togget?)

I understand your feeling of unbelief that she has turned 7, I feel the same way! I love TJ's blog (sorry, TJ, yes, I was lurking and not posting) showing Ben turning from little boy to eled student seemingly overnight.

I feel the same way about Jeffrey. I'm already geeking out that he starts fourth grade next week. I mean, FOURTH grade! How can that be? He can pass the sacrament in only 3 years!!!

Mom and Dad said...

What a special day for such a special girl! Rachel looks so cute in her "up-do" as she walks down the street swinging her pink bag. You're going to have to work hard to top this birthday party!

Sar said...

That girl is a miniature Sara Fisk if I ever saw one.
Thanks for the laughs Sara. I pop onto your blog every now and then, and I always end up smiling.
Sarah Johnson