Today is my birthday and I love love LOVE gifts. Big ones, little ones, doesn't matter to me, I love them all. What matters most in any gift I give or receive is the thought that goes into it. The best gifts I've ever received cost very little money; but I could tell the giver thought a lot about what would make me happy.
So, in the spirit of giving the best gifts, this year I'm giving two gifts to myself that will make me very happy. 1. The gift of better health and 2. The gift of being content with what I have.
Gift #1 means I will no l0nger be eating sugar. Really. I mean it. I'm eliminating it completely for a year and then I'll re-evaluate then. I have a lot of healthy, good habits, but this one is a glaring bad habit. I tend to eat to reward myself, or to "celebrate" (sometimes I just celebrate that I got out of bed today) and it's gotten out of hand. I'm just going to finish off the pan of chocolate rice-krispie treats I made tonight and that's IT. Really.
Gift #2 means that I will not be shopping/buying clothes or random things on sale for me or my house unless it is a genuine need. Really. I mean it. Usually I just buy things because I want them and I can somehow justify the purchase. Sometimes I can't even justify it and I buy it anyway :) No more. I am tired of consuming so much and even though I thought it made me happy, I think all it really did was get me more stuff to take care of.
Soooo, now I'm OUT! I'm a sugar-shopaholic, and my gift to myself is a little self-mastery. I had to tell you so that I get really serious about it- I'm a real sucker for peer-pressure. Anyone who feels so inclined can feel free to jump in and try my gifts with me. At least, don't offer me brownies. Or ice cream. Or chocolate chip cookies. Or your coupons to department stores. I mean it!
12 comments:
Sara,
I'm sorry I didn't call you yesterday, I always think you birthday is the 4th. I feel like a jerk.
Um, about the sugar?
Don't worry, I'll cover your portion. I think I'll have one of your microwave smores when I go home.
yummmm, I mean gross, who would eat that sugar crap.
Happy birthday, Sara! I like your gift to yourself. Self-mastery drives me nuts. Most seriously, yesterday I fasted that I could fast the whole time and not rationalize ending early at lunchtime. Then, right when I ended my fast but before we had dinner, it took everything in me not to eat a brownie I spied on the counter. After a great dinner, it was a little easier not to eat the same said brownie when I realized I was full, and only craved the brownie. It only took me about 7 minutes of going back and forth.
So, kudos to you for your self mastery conquests. Please post them, and maybe I'll do the same on my blog. Of course I wouldn't eat 3 candybars in a row if I knew I had to blog about it.
Oh, but I might have that brownie at breakfast. But yesterday I worked really hard at self mastery!
TJ, you can still call me, I accept phone calls/gifts all month long. Microwave smores...mmmmm....why did you have to mention those? And Kim, I'm a huge sucker for brownies. I'm a sucker for just about anything. I made it to lunch without losing my resolve. Now, on to dinner!
happy bd to you...happy bd to you...happy bd day one fisk...happy bd to you!!! i learned how to respond to blogs...even though i'm not a blogger myself...i read a couple of friends...including yours, and you are HILARIOUS!! you should be a writer. sorry i have never commented, but my friend just taught me how, and signed me on...cause she was getting annoyed i was never commenting to hers!! ha hope all is well...the baby is TOO cute (i saw 6 fisks) the family looks great...love rachels hair, and the boys look wild and crazy (and fun) as ever! you and dan lookin ok yourselves! we miss you guys bunches!
lisa jarbo
Happy B-day Sara dear. Of course I already told you on the phone DAYS before, so I am already way ahead. :) Good luck with those "gifts!" Those are hard.
You all are so cute. I'm glad you blog so we can catch up with ya!
Oohhh Sara, Haaaapppy Birthday, girl. I hope you had a good one. We miss you guys. :-)
I totally agree. I have been on a spending fast for a few months now. I have bought a few items here and there (mostly clothes for the kids) that I felt they needed. It has felt great to just say no. Last week in Newport, I got a gift certificate and spent it on clothes and I woke up the next morning just totally disgusted about it. I shouldn't, but I have always had buyers remorse. The sugar thing is great too. Did you ever read In Defense of Food? You should. You would love it and it would give you some great perspective on eating and food. actually, don't buy it. I will send you one.
HAPPY "BELATED" BIRHTDAY!! I would have wished you a happy birthday on your actual birthday but I was out of town! Sorry!
What kind of patriot are you? At a time when our country needs you to spend the most, you decide to withold. Figures.
You are your mom's daughter! I have never met a cookie I didn't like (well maybe those with the cream filling that sticks to the roof of your mouth)especially if it had chocolate chips. I have cut back on the treats (just ask Dad as he looks in the cupboards for something sweet to eat). The only time I bake is when it is going somewhere else. Luckily, I don't have to worry about ice cream-Dad takes care of that. Good luck with the gifts!
a year? Seriously? More power to you girlfriend!
Post a Comment