
We've been having an ongoing discussion about tithing in our family. It started when Rachel, having lost a tooth was given $3 by the tooth fairy. I excitedly said "Rachel! You get to pay tithing!" Being on the the receiving end of one of her wilting looks, I asked "What's wrong?" She answered with an exasperated "WHY does Heavenly Father always want my money??" As we continued the conversation she said "I think Heavenly Father will understand that I don't want to pay tithing this time " (Perhaps she was feeling the "intense theological question" that Uncle Jared proposed- Is the exchange of money for a body part considered "increase?") I said "Maybe you're right and this is just between you and Heavenly Father honey. Why don't you say a prayer and ask Him if it's okay if you don't pay tithing this time and see what He says?" She looked at me, rolled her eyes, and said "I KNOW what He'll say" as she handed me 30 cents.
The kids can earn money doing various chores etc and one Sunday morning we sat down to settle up and pay tithing. They boys were also equally confused as to why Heavenly Father would want money. "Doesn't He have some?" asked Adam. Rachel stepped in to clear up the situation for her brothers "Well boys," she said in her best teacher voice "Heavenly Father needs our money so be can bless us and give it back to us later." "Ohhh" they said, the light of understanding going on. "When will He give it back?" asked Johnny. "Soon" said Rachel.
'Nuff said- tithing was willingly paid. Someday we'll have to add some details to her explanation- lest they think that their tithing money is simply put on a heavenly ferris wheel and what they send up they just get back later. The "windows of heaven" are much more generous than that.
2 comments:
That's some deep gospel thinking there! You look great, and I love the ninja naked boys!
SARA! How fun to see your blog, and look at you with your long flowing locks! Reading this made me miss you and your cute family. Glad to see everyone is doing well and I can now tell the boys apart, although I still don't know which is which (the mole & face shape thing never helped me.)I'll send you a link to our blog. Love ya, Wendy
Post a Comment